The Netherlands Aerospace Centre NLR (Nederland Lucht- en Ruimtevaartcentrum) is one of the Dutch Major Technological Institutes which perform a large part of the applied research in the Netherlands, each within its own specific technology field.
As an independent non-profit organisation, NLR is the central organisation for aerospace research in The Netherlands.
NLR’s activities are market-oriented, independent, socially relevant and without profit priority. By acting so, NLR can adequately respond to the need for scientific knowledge and technology in the field of aviation and space travel, which arises from the government, public and industry. Thus being the natural partner for aerospace research. Work under research contracts (national and international, government and industry) amounts to 75 percent of NLR’s activities, the remaining 25 percent is funded by the Dutch government for basic demand-oriented research programmes and development of research equipment. Depending on the project and the customer’s preferences, NLR acts as a sole contractor or as a subcontractor cooperating with other institutes or partners from industry.
Working at NLR
Because NLR employs highly educated staff, it is a high-quality centre of technological knowledge. Our knowledge and skills depend on the efforts, contributions and qualities of each employee. Anyone with drive and potential will receive the chance to grow. NLR offers full assistance in education and training because of the importance of keeping knowledge up-to-date and to get the opportunity to gain more in-depth knowledge.
A staff of approximately 700 people is employed at two sites, one located in Amsterdam, and the other in the Noordoostpolder (about 100 km north-east of Amsterdam). Over two-thirds of the staff are graduates from universities or technical colleges, with a large variety in specialised professions such as aircraft engineers, psychologists, mathematicians and physicists. This variety is necessary for ensuring the broad expertise that is needed for coping with mostly challenging problems in the aerospace sector. For more information: www.nlr.nl